Wednesday, December 30, 2009

86th Annual Bronx-Westchester Christmas Bird Count

This past Sunday, December 27th, I participated in the 86th annual Bronx-Westchester Christmas Bird Count. The count in total netted 117 species and the Rye count region got 91. I teamed up with Benjamin van Doren, a sophomore at White Plains High School; Andrew Farnsworth, a Rye resident and a member of the Cornell Labs of Ornithology; and Megan Aitchison, my ex-counselor and sister of another of my ex-counselors who is now my co-counselor. The four of us covered the Rye Marshlands pretty carefully, with some highlights being an American Woodcock flushed by Ben and Megan, who also found three Field Sparrows and our only Golden-crowned Kinglet of the day. More highlights and a summary of the count can be found on the Bronx-Westchester CBC's website.

I'm hoping to be able to get down to the Southern Nassau CBC this upcoming Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment