Wednesday, December 30, 2009

IOC World List v 2.3 Release

Winter Break kicked off with the release of the International Ornithological Congress's world checklist, version 2.3.

The only change to my list brought about by this was that the Pipipi of New Zealand was moved from family Acanthizidae to Incertae Sedis along with the two species in genus Mohoua, the Whitehead and Yellowhead, both residents of New Zealand. However, I did not see either of these species on my trip there in August. The Gray Gerygone will remain in family Acanthizidae.

Of note, however, was the accepted split of the Mexican Duck from the Mallard on the basis of McCracken et al's suggestion based on phylogenic data making the Mexican Duck the "southwestern sister 'species'" of the Mottled Duck. Though I have been to Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico, I have no recorded sightings of Mallards while there and cannot then add the Mexican Duck to my list. However, I plan to seek it out while in the southern Rio Grande Valley this May.

No comments:

Post a Comment